Sometimes there is no time to calculate the dosage for a drug that must be administered in an emergency, and it is preferred to have this calculation done ahead of time.

By creating a parameter to use as a section divider on your Anesthetic Sheet templates (thus clearly defining that these drugs are to be administered in the event of an emergency), you can save your emergency drugs to the template and have them displayed in MLS calculated on that patient's weight. See the example below:

NOTE: We recommend referring to the Emergency Drugs chart, which contains the most relevant and up-to-date CPR Emergency Drugs and Doses from the RECOVER Initiative provided by the Veterinary Emergency & Critical Care Society (veccs.org).

To set this up, please follow these steps:

1. As a separator, create a parameter called *****EMERG DRUGS***** (How do I edit or add to my parameters?) and give it a concentration of 1 dose per dose:

2. Add this parameter to the Anesthetic Sheet as well as any drugs you'd like to have listed. For ease of use, leave on the Anesthetic Sheet only the parameters/medications from the emergency protocol and delete the rest. Be sure to enter dosages, and select Display Total (ml) (How do I select the medication units?).

3. Save this Anesthetic Sheet as for example, Add-on: Emergency template (How do I create an anesthetic sheet template?), so that later, using the Add Treatment option, you can add this emergency protocol to any Anesthetic Sheet.

NOTE: Due to the characteristics of the Anesthetic Sheet, parameters highlighting and frequency cannot be saved on the template, so you need to adjust them for each patient individually. However, for your convenience, the highlighting color will be saved on the template, and once you highlight the desired cells, you will be able to distinguish between the initial parameters and those added from the add-on template. That's why we recommend that you set the same highlighting color for all parameters of the Add-on template (e.g. as purple):

If you do end up administering one of these medications, you can just initial off the box or specify the quantity given to ensure this is recorded in the Medical Record and on the Billing PDF!

We hope you found this information useful!